Monday, October 27, 2008

The Reality Machine

So, I recently purchased a copy of The Reality Machine by Cliff Burns. It's a signed copy that I got from AbeBooks. If you don't know what that is, you haven't lived. Anyway, the girlfriend is on another one of her travels to a faraway land...called Tipton I think. So, I have time to just relax and read with the cat and a beer.


This book is actually a collection of short stories from Burns. They vary in length from a few paragraphs to a dozen or more pages. It's hard to classify his work. I imagine it could fall into horror, SF, psychological thriller or even poetry for some works. A few of the stories in it are not for the squeamish. All of them are interesting. Burns is an interesting author in many regards though. He seems to have a dislike for the publishing industry. This is apparently why he posts some of his major works online for free. He even has a podcast for the first part of his book available for download. Find out more about Cliff Burns at Beautiful Desolation.

Other than that, I have been reading Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke. I haven't gotten very far yet but the story is very intriguing. I feel like I could draw parallels between the Overlords and the secret society ruling the world. Maybe Clarke felt that way, don't know. I've also got a book, Banana, that serves as my brief book. I read it in ten minute intervals throughout the day. Waiting for something to cook, waiting for the girlfriend to get ready, that kind of thing. Then I still have my Michael Oren book on the US and Middle East throughout history. It's a bit dry and I can only read a chapter or two at a time. I've also been perusing my Polish history selection, reading up on Casimir and Jagiello. Then there is the Louis L'Amour book. It's a memoir of sorts, Education of a Wandering Man. It's really interesting to see his views on education, best received in the real world, not in a school.

And last but not least for my reading list, the GRE study guide! I can't wait to be done with that ordeal. I realized that most of the classes I had taken in college the first time would have counted toward an MA had I been a grad student. I don't know what that means, but I am really excited to get back to studying the real information. Not words like circumlocution. I want to do research and write a book, but no one will fund me, and working where I work now is not a gold mine. If anyone has ideas, hook me up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks very much for the praise directed toward my odd little collection, THE REALITY MACHINE. That slender volume holds a place near and dear to my heart.

You are correct in stating that I have nothing but withering scorn for the traditional publishing scene. I have been a professional author for nearly 25 years and have been accorded shabby treatment from all but a handful of editors and other sundry folk in the biz. Thanks to new technologies, the "indie" writer can publish and promote their work with no editorial interference, choose their own cover art, etc. By publishing exclusively on my site, I have gained access to tens of thousands of readers around the world. It has been a godsend to me and revitalized my career.

My regards to you.

Marketplace