Friday, December 12, 2008

It's the Oil Stupid!

I was reading through an article by Jan Oberg on the recent Nobel Prize ceremony for Matti Ahtisaari, and was enjoying the article's counter stance to Ahtisaari's work. I don't necessarily agree with everything he says, but I am a firm believer in looking at all sides to an issue. The article, posted at Serbianna, makes an argument that Ahtisaari was merely a pawn used by the US and NATO to secure Kosovo's independence. Apparently, he views the Balkan as the last vestige of the Cold War. Anyway, the article was interesting to read, and most of the arguments I would make against it are obvious when you read it.

http://www.serbianna.com/columns/oberg/001.shtml

My point is this I guess. He mentions that the only reason we care about Kosovo is the oil pipeline planned for the southern end of the peninsula. That's where he lost me. I know oil is important, I know the control of it is a very corruptive force in the world, this isn't news. However, every time I hear a well-reasoned argument slip into the "everything has to do with oil no matter what" mentality, I lose interest. Oberg is just one of many that undermines my beliefs. The claim that the only reason people are interested in Kosovo is that it somehow involves a pipeline is insulting to people like myself.

Here's an outline of where the suggested pipelines will be.

Note: that southern pipeline doesn't cut anywhere near Kosovo.

You can find maps:

Here

Here

and Here

I am largely interested in, and supportive of, the independence of Kosovo for reasons of my own. The Balkans in general have always intrigued me for their role in European history. They have been very influential, but almost no one in the US understands anything about them. Quiz your average college student on Europe, and you'll probably find out that Europe is made up of Spain, France, Germany and Russia. That's it. It is this ignorance that causes me to learn as much as I can of the region. It's the same reason I study Latin America, or the "Middle East."
But, do I study these regions because I want to be able to pump gas into my Volvo for the foreseeable future? No. I am one of the great number of people pushing for alternative fuels, renewable energy and so forth.

Granted, I doubt Oberg is speaking of me when he's talking about NATO and US action in the Balkans, but he doesn't do a very good job of phrasing it that way. I am as committed as one can be to Kosovo's independence coming from Iowa. It has little to do with oil, it has little to do with my feelings toward Russia, it has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that Kosovo deserves to be independent given it's background and cultural construct.
Feel free to disagree with me, I'm sure I'm off base. Can I just read one article that doesn't spout nonsense about how, "The US only cares about x because of an oil pipeline." Not everything has to do with oil pipelines. Luckily for these people though, oil can be found throughout the world either in a pipeline, the original source, stockpiles or in the tank of a UN truck, so they will never be without this call to arms.

US diplomacy: It's the oil stupid!

No comments:

Marketplace